Monday, March 27, 2017

Proficiency Tests

As I mentioned in my last post, I started a new job. One of my new classes is teaching "Business English." I drive to a company in District 7 once a week to teach a 2 hour class.

I've been in kid-land for most of my time at VUS. I've covered an adult class or two, but I've never had one of my own. Even in those classes, most of the learners were under the age of 20, so I played games, spritzed them with water, and "punished" them by drawing on their hands just like I do with my children's classes.

Besides the fact that I can't draw on 40 something year olds, the motivation for my adult class is entirely different. For comparison, my children's classes aim to create English speakers. I get my students speak as much English as possible. To that end, I'm not focusing on grammar or writing too much. I'm focused on students understanding what I say and making sure their pronunciation and vocabulary is passable enough that I can understand what they are saying.

Well, for my new adult class, I am not teaching them how to speak English. I am teaching them how to pass an English proficiency test. This, unfortunately, seems to be very common in Vietnam, so I'd better get used to this.

Tests are super important in the English teaching industry. There's tons, all with varying degrees of legitimacy that are taken for different reasons. Here's some examples of some big ones:

1. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) This is by far the most intense and common test that Vietnamese learners prepare for. The IELTS is used to determine eligibility for immigration to some countries, and admission to English-speaking universities. The grades for results are on a "scale" from 1 (novice) to 9 (expert). It has a speaking, writing, listening, and reading part.

2. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Another test, similar to the IELTS. It is less accepted than the IELTS, but can be used for university admissions and visa requirements in Australia and the UK. The test score is out of 120 points, with 4 equal parts making up the score: reading, listening, speaking, writing.

3. CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency) This test is not graded out of points or scale, but is instead pass/fail (or "proficient/not proficient" because it was made by a bunch of Brits). Passing this test and having a CPE score of proficient on your resume, supposedly proves that you are ready to work and study in an all-English speaking environment. This test is accepted by several companies and universities in the UK.

4. TOEIC (Test of English for International Certification) The TOEIC is a little weird in that it is marketed to businesses for pre-employment testing rather than potential test-takers. There are two TOEIC tests: the listening and reading test and the speaking and writing test. I am not certain about this, but most of the business testimonials on the TOEIC website are from Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese companies, so I am going to guess that this test is much more widespread in Asia than elsewhere. The score is done on a points system.

My new business class is preparing for the TOEIC Reading and Listening exam which drastically changes the kinds of skills we work on in class! More on this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment