Way back in August, I wrote a post called "Talking About Money is Tacky" where I calculated that I spent about $3,350 on my move to Vietnam and I earmarked another $3,000 as survival money.
Now, one month out from the CELTA ending and a few days shy of receiving my first paycheck, I'm reevaluating.
1. Extra nights at An Vui (my hotel) until I found an apartment: 1,400,000 VND
2. Apartment + deposit: 12,000,000 VND
3. I budget about 500,000 per day (x 30 days) + (300,000 for 30 days during CELTA) on food and booze: 30,300,000 VND
4. Health Check (required for my work permit): 625,000 VND
5. Bike Rental (1 month with Honda Airblade at 3 mil, 1 month with Honda Wave at 1 mil) 4,000,000 VND.
6. Fingerprints done at immigration office for my American Background check: 4,000,000 VND
7. Cost to mail fingerprints to FBI Channeler: 2,000,000 VND
8. Paying Temple to send me an original copy of my diploma because I am an idiot and didn't arrange this before: 1,750,000 VND.
9. Applying to have my Vietnamese background check done: 3,000,000 VND
= 44,075,000 VND ~ $1,974.68 USD
Truthfully, I have not done Saigon as cheaply as I could have, especially on the food front. I could be getting by on 60,000 VND a day instead of 500,000 VND a day but I am a fat pig.
No comments:
Post a Comment