Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Saigon is Like a Retirement Community for Western 20 somethings

Really, though. It is. Especially now for all the ESL teachers in language centers. Tet is swiftly approaching, bringing with it big light displays all over Saigon and a sharp decline in available teaching hours. Tet is a family holiday in Vietnam and everything shuts down, including my job for one week. Even after that week, the classes at VUS are slow to start up again. I could have picked up a second job, but instead, I decided to take some vacations. I am headed to Bali next week and then Thailand 2 weeks after that. If I'd been smart about it, I would be out of the city right now considering I have off work 4 days off in a row.

The average day in the life of a retired 25-year old: 

1. Wake up at 8ish, drink coffee, dick around on Reddit, Facebook and Instagram.

2. Do sunrise asanas. 

3. Read a chunk of a book for book club. (Which I was SO EXCITED to go to, but missed yesterday. There's always next month) or crochet.

4. Go to the gym.

5. Go to Yoga class.

6. Get smoothie or coffee someplace. Read some more.

7. Take hula hoops, speaker, and Kindle to the park. Hang out there several hours.

8. At night... maybe go to whatever weekly is on that day? Movie night, bar quiz, dance class, rock climbing, club, bar, music performance, art thing.

9. Sleep

10. Repeat, until you go on actual vacation.

Seriously, I don't understand why more people don't do this. 

Although, note: the well-adjusted people I meet here in town generally have some kind of passion project they work on. They might write, do comedy, make art, dance, brew beer. Just something. And then you turn that something into a showcase so other people can come look at it. And the beautiful thing about Saigon is... the expat community is small enough that there aren't that many options for things to do, and it populated by people with tons of downtime who are willing to come look at your work.

I think all the free time could drive you crazy if you let it. I generally find fulfillment from hobbies instead of my jobs, so its been perfect for me. I've dedicated myself to getting in the best shape of my life and becoming the best hula hooper I can be, but I definitely need another side project. Something that doesn't require physical activity. I'm thinking sewing. And probably a second job, if I'm being honest, to replenish my savings after my next full month of traveling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment